THE BOOK IS HERE!!!
Three Masters, Five ways
Taking One’s Development in Jazz Improvisation to a Higher Level through the Core Ideas of Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, and John Coltrane
Anthony Michael Peterson, M.M.
Written for intermediate to advanced students, this book takes the student on a journey to the results that he or she has been looking for! Core musical ideas of Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, and John Coltrane are used to bring the reader to a higher level of performance, expression, and understanding.
Anthony Michael has recently updated this orginal work into 3 volumes:
- Rhythmic Motifs and Melodic Development, Motivic Transposition (Monk, Volume One)
- Linear Inversion, Seventh Chord Permutation, Approach Note Patterns (Charlie Parker, Volume Two)
- 1235 Patterns, The Coltrane II-V-I Cadence (Coltrane, Volume Three)
This book series is unique in that it also teaches the student how to practice, and how to manifest profound results through visualization.
The Volumes' format of “Three Masters, Five Ways” is held together by the “Five Ways”:
- Core Idea: This is each of the ideas found in each Master’s section. Here the ideas are explained and illustrated in musical notation.
- Breakdown of Core Idea: Here the idea is illustrated in various note groups and pitch orders. This introduces melodic and harmonic possibilities to the student, and gives the student the flexibility and knowledge to create their own exercises and ideas.
- Application: This is where the idea is applied to a chord progression, song forms, and tonal exercises. This is the beginning of the student internalizing the idea into their playing.
- Context: This shows where the ideas can work.
- Practice: This shows how to visualize and set goals, and practice the ideas going forward, and integrate the idea into one’s playing. The other ideas in the book are later combined to enhance the student’s practice flow. This is done by dividing the practice session into maintenance, melodic, harmonic, rhythmic, vocabulary, repertoire, study, and ear training.
Please go to the store page to purchase the book series, and send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org , so that we can you updated.
Tru is excited about this original 3 Volume Series. Buy the book in either digital form or hardbound and then join Tru's Instagram(truborn) and Facebook pages(truborn) and have questions answered by Tru himself . We want to hear from you, especially if you can make the 3rd edition even better with constructive discussion points and ideas.